Tuesday 27 July 2021

ADHD MAKES IT HARD TO FOCUS ... HEY! WHAT'S THAT OUTSIDE THE WINDOW?

 I've written two novels.

The first is a young adult one set in the 1940s during the WW2 years. The location is Whangarei Heads around where I live.


I researched this fairly extensively when we first moved here about 12 years ago. I spent time in our local libraries (3) plus Auckland library checking historical facts and looking for 1940s photographs of the area that I set the book in. HERE

The other one is an adult thriller about a man who seeks vengeance for the death of his wife and the fact that the killer, a gang member is not convicted by the courts due to lack of evidence. This is gritty and yes, I spent some time researching this too. It's kind of like that Bronson film Death Wish but I can honestly say that I didn't copy this. The idea came from when I was in a van driven by a friend and a 'P' crazed maniac came at us at speed on the wrong side of the road. See: HERE

The problem is though, that these novels are still in my head. I've 'written' them while walking, golfing, driving, travelling on buses, trains and planes and while soaking in the bath but I haven't gotten around to putting the words down on paper or on the computer. While the story lines are still in place the dialogue and details that I've sketched out are fading.


Bummer!

I'm lazy.

Or, so I thought until I read this: ADHD

Each year many New Zealanders grapple with being diagnosed with ADHD. Katie Harris speaks to three women about life after finding out they have ADHD as an adult and how their lives changed for the better.

Anna Notton thought she was a failure growing up.

"Naughty, bad, lazy, incapable. I was just given labels and told that's what I was rather than being asked what I needed."

Notton grew up near Wellington, attending a traditional church school at a time where neurological conditions weren't openly discussed, let alone diagnosed.

"You're the odd one out, you're the kid that can't understand what's being said and needs things to be repeated. There was very little grace [at school]."

No one thought to question whether her constant daydreaming could be a sign of an attention disorder. Instead, Notton says she was shamed for her poor academic performance.

"My whole childhood was a complete s**t show. I dropped out of school at 15 to clean toilets, I didn't think I had any more potential."

Twenty years later, Notton holds a masters degree, has run businesses, is an accomplished social worker and has been accepted into a professional Doctorate programme.


Maybe I can blame it on having ADHD. 

7 comments:

  1. Okay, I can help you with this - it's like doing music practice.
    Firstly, you have to mentally plan ahead. Can you, say, put aside three hours between 9am and midday? It's just like going to work. If you get distracted after 1 1/2 hours, you've still achieved something - something that you can use as motivation. Here's the important thing - WRITE DOWN THE TIME YOU HAVE WRITTEN FOR IN A DIARY. Maybe you'll set out to do 15 hours in a five day week but only achieve 8. Have you failed? No, because you wrote for 8 hours. You'll often find that, when you really get into a writing session, time will fly by. You'll get things written and you will feel successful. Who really cares if you didn't get to 15 hours? Maybe that was an unrealistic goal for now? Maybe you'll do closer to 15 hours next week but maybe you don't need that much time. Remember - you're the only one counting; no one else will judge your work by that. They'll only see what you have written. Maybe you're just smart enough that you don't need that much time. Remember that the time you spend daydreaming (or planning) is valid time too - I do a lot of valuable violin practice at 3am when I'm laying in bed. Every journey starts with a single step. Just start and don't waste time punishing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that.
    I got distracted while reading your comment but I persevered. That tui in the tree outside will just have to get someone else to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, you are what you think you are. Enjoy the distractions. Look on them as new ideas coming in. Let your mind flow but also slowly bring back the focus by letting your 'work' be interesting. My mind wanders when I practise but I just don't panic and bring it back. "Softly, softly catchy monkey." as my dad used to say. In Italian we say, "Chi va piano va sano e va lontano."

    ReplyDelete
  4. A 3G boy advising a 3P boy. Fr Bliss would not be impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He might have made you an honorary 3P-er. That would have been a highlight of your school years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that and the beach volleyballists.

    ReplyDelete

MY LIFE AS A PENCIL - HAIKU

  A clear manuscript I wrote until my tip broke A smeared manuscript .